While it’s common knowledge that more exercise means more calories burned, some of us lack the time to get to the gym. Following these simple tricks can help you keep your weight in check and burn extra calories every day.
1. Run up the stairs. Next time you walk up stairs (which should be every time), decrease the amount of time it takes you to get to the top. Try getting up the stairs in half the time you normally would to increase your heart rate.
2. Increase the velocity in which you do normal activities. Whether you’re mowing the lawn or vacuuming the living room, speed up the pace. Not only will it take less time to do the chore, but you’ll raise your heart rate more than you normally would. If you’re going to check the mail, skip to and from the mailbox.
3. Take advantage of your grocery bags. Normal grocery bags weigh just about the same as light dumbbells. Next time you’re grocery shopping, take advantage. Do little dumb bell curls when taking your groceries from the car to your kitchen. In addition, do the same with your purse whenever you get the chance.
4. Exercise at your desk. When sitting sedentary for a long time, it’s easy to slouch forward and get lazy. Avoid this by sitting up straight and performing small exercises. For example, pretend there is a pen between your shoulder blades, squeeze the pen together, release, and repeat. Or, use your abdominal muscles to lift your legs one by one and repeat. Get creative and have fun!
5. Stretch when you get the chance. While your computer is loading, you’re waiting for a phone call, or in line for the bathroom, take the opportunity to stretch. Reach your arms above your head, touch your toes and loosen up your body.
6. Get offline. While we’re all guilty of going online shopping for our groceries and our clothes, go to the mall or the grocery store instead. Walking around will get your blood flowing and burn calories.
7. Park far away. It may seem inconvenient, but either way, you’re saving time you would spend at the gym. Whether you’re going to work, dinner, or anywhere that you have to drive, park your car far away so that you have to walk to appointments. When you do walk, keep a brisk pace.
8. Pace when you can. Long business call? Invest in a headset. Pace around your office or your home while you talk and move your arms to increase the amount of calories you burn.
9. Cancel the dog walker. If you have a dog, save money by waking up 30 minutes earlier to walk your dog around the block or playing wtih Fido in the back yard. Burning calories in the morning speeds up your metabolism for the rest of the day and starts you off with plenty of energy.
10. Skip the movie date. Instead of seeing a movie with your family or friends this weekend, go bowling instead. Not only are the prices comparable, but you’ll be able to be active and enjoy quality time with you loved ones.
This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.