Last week we went over five foods that are banned in other countries (read the article here if you missed it). Were you surprised by some of the foods on the list? As shocking as those first five foods are, we have three more foods that are banned in other countries that you should consider taking out of your diet.
6. Arsenic-laced Chicken: The FDA approved an arsenic-based drug in chicken feed saying that since it was organic it wasn’t harmful. The drug causes the chicken to grow faster and for their meat to be a nicer pink color. The problem is that organic arsenic can transform into inorganic arsenic and has been found in elevated levels in supermarket chickens. Not only that, but the arsenic in the chicken’s waste can affect everyone’s drinking water and rice crops. This chicken is banned by the European Union.
7. Bread with Potassium Bromate: Bromated flour is “enriched” with potassium bromate in order to make the bread more elastic. A lot of commercial bread companies use it to make their breads easier to handle. However, studies have showed that potassium bromate has been linked to thyroid problems, cancer, and gastrointestinal discomfort. These breads have been banned in China, Canada, and European Unions.
8. Olestra/Olean: Olestra, also known as Olean has been banned in the UK, and Canada banned this substance used in fat free chips, French fries, and other snacks because it causes weight gain and problems with the digestive system.
9. BHA and BHT: These two common preservatives are found in several processed products, from cereals and chewing gum to spreadable butter and beer. They are partially banned in the UK, European Union, and Japan. BHA has been found to give rats cancer, which means the cancer-causing agent might be transferred to humans also. BHA is also known to give allergic reactions and cause hyperactivity. BHT has been linked to organ system toxicity.
10. Milk and Dairy Products with rBGH: rBGH is the growth hormone that is very commonly used in U.S. dairy cows. It has been banned in over 30 nations due to health hazards. Also, the rBGH can cause mastitis in cows, which then means pus and antibiotics can leak into the milk.
Are you surprised by all of these foods? It is time to make a change in your health. Buy organic when possible and avoid these top ten banned foods.
Always consult your chiropractor or primary care physician for all your health related advice.
This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.